Good morning! I hope you are all coming off of a great weekend.
Scott and I had an eventful one filled with friends and get togethers. I didn’t really get around to snapping too many photos (it has been great to unplug more on the weekends), so I thought it would be a great time to dive back in and finish a post I started drafting some time ago.
Mid-October marked our third year of living in Michigan! On October 12, 2012, Scott and I packed up our lives (and fur kids) in Orlando, Florida to head out on a one-way road trip Up North for our new lives in Metro Detroit, Michigan.
Around our move-iversary every year, I like to take a look back at what we’ve done and where we have explored since living in our new state. These recaps don’t include a lot of health and fitness content, but rather feature more of the fun I choose to share with you on the blog.
It’s neat for me to search through the archives and relive a lot of these experiences, so hopefully you will enjoy the flashback, too!
If you’d like to see what previous recaps look like, check out:
Here’s what has been going on up north since then!
3 Year Michigan Move-iversary: A Year of Highlights
Starting October 2014…
• I became an official Certified Personal Trainer!
• Visited the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn
• Raced my second half marathon with Alex that took us through Canada and back!
• Visited Canterbury Village in Lake Orion
• Went apple picking and picked out a pumpkin from a patch for the first time
• Shared my Ultimate NASM CPT Study Guide (I hope this helps those of you on your own journey to becoming a personal trainer)
• Spent quality time with Scott’s mom, Becky, who came in town for a visit!
• Celebrated Scott’s birthday with dinner at The Whitney (a haunted mansion)
• Shared my go-to workout gear for winter running
• Raced my third half marathon and got a new PR of 1:58:31!
• Shared some scenes from a weekend in Chicago (and finally visited The Bean!)
• Snuck in as many family runs as we could before the serious cold temperatures hit
• Attended our first U of M football game at The Big House
• Scott made his blogging debut (<- Ha. I think he needs to write again!)
• Announced that I started a new job as a personal trainer!
• Raced the Turkey Trot Drumstick Double with my mom in Downtown Detroit
• Shared a (long) list of FAQs and answers (I loved receiving these, by the way!)
• Got a new (leased) Jeep and named her Lillian
• Saw Straight No Chaser in concert and dined in Midtown Detroit with girlfriends
• Got into the Christmas Spirit with a night out at the Fox Theatre with friends
• Shared a new favorite DIY Last Minute Holiday Gift Idea
• Had a very low-key Christmas at home
• Saw our friend, Mary, who was in town visiting from Orlando
• Shared the most popular (non-food and fitness) posts from 2014
• Shared the most popular food and fitness posts from 2014
• Traveled to Ann Arbor to watch the Pistons Flight Crew perform at a U of M basketball game
• Dined at Café Zola in Ann Arbor
• Celebrated a New Year with a low-key game night at home with friends
• (Secretly) started drafting our journey towards trying to start a family
• Went wedding dress shopping with Alex, her mom, and sister in Fowler, Michigan
• Tried my first juice and raw foods cleanse (<- check out my thoughts and review)
• Discovered Gold Cash Gold, one of our now favorite places to dine in Detroit
• Attended the Pistons vs. Magic game with some fellow former Orlando Magic Dancers!
• Shared my pledge to stay committed to winter running (ehhh, working on it…)
• Caught the tail end of the Fire & Ice Festival in Downtown Rochester
• Got snowed in with friends (but still ventured out) over Superbowl Weekend
• Said goodbye to Housewife Glamour! (ahhh, such a bittersweet post)
• Went to Houston to attend a fun Valentine’s Day themed wedding (Congrats Amy & Robert!)
• Went to Florida to spend some quality time with family <3
• Finally got (somewhat) used to running in the snow
• Hosted Scott’s nephew, Connor, and showed him the highlights of Downtown Detroit
• Went to WWE WrestleMania in Detroit
• Explored Downtown Ferndale (dinner at Local & drinks at The Oakland)
• Shared a 5K training plan for beginners (it’s quickly gaining popularity on Pinterest!)
• Attended Pistons games and explored more restaurants in Birmingham
• Shared 30 thoughts on turning 30
• Flew to Florida to say goodbye to my dear Grandaddy. (I love you!)
• Got a lot of you with an innocent April Fool’s joke that I’m moving back to Florida (whoops)
• Spent Easter Weekend with friends
• Stumbled upon Downtown Clawson (a neat little strip of restaurants and pubs)
• Went on a #DetroitDateNight to the Detroit Science Center and Green Dot Stables
• The girls from my small group surprised me with a birthday dinner and sleepover!
• Scott surprised me with a trip to see my middle school bestie, Lauren, in New York City for my 30th Birthday!
• Dined at Camp Ticonderoga & visited Stoney Creek Metropark (<- love that park!)
• Ran my first color run in Downtown Detroit
• Attended the SMASH48 Women’s Retreat with my small group in Spring Hill
• Spent Memorial Day Weekend with HOOPER and friends
• Went to the New Kids on the Block Concert (<- awesome!) and ran the Hope Water Project 5K
• Tried new restaurants in Birmingham and attended U of M Movie Night with friends
• Celebrated Amanda’s Cinderella-themed Bridal Shower
• Visited the Bass Pro Shops Headquarters and Explored Downtown Springfield, Missouri
• Spent the Day in Silver Dollar City (theme park) and Branson, Missouri
• Stopped into St. Louis, Missouri to tour the Anheuser-Busch Factory
• Celebrated Amanda’s Bachelorette Party!
• Enjoyed a quick visit from mom and lunch with family in Frakenmuth
• Celebrated Fourth of July weekend boating in Holly with friends from out of town
• Shared a Q&A interview with fitness icon Gabby Reece!
• Spent a day in Hollywood & Hermosa Beach, California, with my friend Kylee
• Celebrated the 100th week of Friday Favorites (thank you so much for participating!)
• Highlighted our summer trip to Chicago (yes, we love visiting this city, ha!)
• Shared what’s currently going on in our lives…
• Watched the 2015 Woodward Dream Cruise
• Covered my first rock climbing experience!
• Visited Eastern Market (Downtown Detroit) & Stoney Creek Park Metropark
• Attended the 2015 Michigan Renaissance Festival in Holly Township
• Shared a heartfelt letter to friends (also) dealing with pregnancy envy <3
• Enjoyed a visit from Meggan (who now lives in Birmingham, AL) and took her to Birmingham, MI
• Shared some (Q&A) tips on surviving your first winter Up North
• Traveled to Ohio for Cedar Point Halloweekends, Round 2!
• Took advantage of Detroit Restaurant Week with a double date night downtown
• Shared some thoughts (with love) to my pregnant and new-mommy friends
• Took my first Pure Barre Class in Michigan!
• Explored Northville and a new (winery &) cider mill
• Celebrated Alex’s Bridal Shower
What a year! Whenever this time of the year approaches, I have a hard time believing that an entire twelve months have come and gone.
Some of the biggest highlights for me last year include getting hired for my first job as a personal trainer, debuting Life In Leggings, and taking as many weekends as we can to travel and catch up with friends.
As many of you know, we are at a point in our lives where life could change very drastically!
I can’t wait to see what the next year of highlights look like for us. Thank you so much for taking the time to check in and support this blog year after year! <3
Questions of the Day
• What are some of the biggest highlights of your last year?
• What cities have you lived in?
• What cities do you wish to live in?
When it comes to moving, Scott and I are truly up for anything right now. I don’t have many updates to share, and I promise to keep you all in the loop if a move is approaching. Ideally, I would love to end up a little more south with less snowy days and more days closer to a beach. We have talked about many places we would potentially like to live one day, and some of the front runners are <enter city in> (basically anywhere in) California, Austin, Boston, (just outside of) New York City, Charlotte, Chicago, Atlanta, Denver, and Nashville.
Only time will tell!