Hello, hello! I hope you guys are in the mood for some random thoughts and things this afternoon, because that is exactly what this post entails.
Okay. So. Let’s talk.
Today begins the official 30 Day Countdown until my 30th birthday. I know. I can’t believe it either. I made a pledge to stop having birthdays after my 25th, but you can only have 20-something faux birthday celebrations so many years in a row. I’m finding that out the hard way.
Photo by Elegant Imagery
Thirty. 3-0. Considering I had somewhat of a quarter-life crisis while celebrating my 25th birthday (notice that trip to St. Augustine, Florida was never shared on the blog… ha!), I would say that I am handling the transition into a new decade pretty well.
I would be lying if I said that actually typing out the words I’m turning thirty didn’t freak me out just a little, but for the most part, I have accepted my jump into a new chapter of life with open arms.
Today I thought it would be fun to share a collection of thoughts going through my head that surrounds the idea of turning thirty. Just for fun, I went with 30 of them.
I hope you enjoy reading my rambles as much as they therapeutically help me embrace the concept. Here we go!
Thirty Thoughts on Turning 30
1. I’m so going to be okay about this.
2. Well, my husband is 41… so really, I don’t feel like turning 30 is all that big of a deal.
3. But it is. It’s a huge deal. We’re talking about moving forward into a new decade!
(Can we just move backwards into the 80s instead?)
4. And, speaking of my husband, our average age is 35… so technically, 30 should feel like a breeze. Technically.
5. My 25-year-old self can’t believe we still haven’t started a family.
6. Or purchased a home.
7. My 29-year-old self still longs for spontaneity and unforeseen travel adventures.
8. Some days I feel ready to expand my career and go for more in the fitness industry.
9. Some days I feel ready to settle down, and am completely content working part-time as a personal trainer.
10. I figured I would have figured most of this out by now.
11. Nothing ever really happens how you predict it to. Go figure.
12. I would have never guessed that I would be celebrating my 30th birthday in a new state of residence, Michigan, without my childhood friends and family close by.
13. I also never expected to find another group of close friends to comfort me being so far away!
14. I found my first grey hair a couple of years ago. Since then, I have found several. I’ve been trying to go as natural as possible and let my “real” hair color finally get a chance to surface… but if these greys keep popping up, that might have to change.
15. I want babies.
16. My husband still acts like a baby at times, and I have three fur children that keep me plenty busy. Does that count? I’m pretty confident in saying it does.
17. If you would have asked me what my life at thirty would look like five years ago, oh my goodness… it would be so different.
18. But, I’m perfectly okay with where I’m at. It’s funny to see how life unfolds.
19. No matter how many birthdays I have, I will always be a fan of 80s, 90s, and early 2000s pop and boy band music. If you’ve seen my Spotify playlists, then you already know this.
20. The older I get, the more food I like. Bring on the spicy food, sushi, and weird vegetables!
21. The older I get, the harder it is for me to recover from a late night out. A girls night in with movies, popcorn, and wine will always trump going out in a tight dress and heels to “take on the city”. Just saying.
22. Places really do seem “too loud” sometimes. I never thought I would see the day!
23. I am so grateful for my health and for the ability to be able to train and race as I please.
24. I want to check more off of my Fitness Bucket List in the next couple of years!
25. I still don’t think I will ever drive a mini-van. They look great on some, and if you drive one, I’m not knocking it! I personally don’t think I can ever drive or park something that massive. I’m doing everyone a favor here.
26. I’m determined to continue to grow my hair out. I’m crossing my fingers it finally gets the length I have been hoping for since college!
27. I hope you all don’t think I’m a weirdo for dedicating an entire post to my thoughts on turning thirty.
28. I have a feeling at least some of you are intrigued, and feel the same way as me about a big birthday coming up for you!
29. I will never grow out of my obsession with Friends. I just won’t.
30. I often wonder what my life will look like five years from now. Any predictions?
And there you have it. Me, not freaking out, about to turn thirty… or at least pretending to!
So tell me…
Questions of the Afternoon
• How did you handle your last milestone birthday?
• Do you have any funny stories about turning 30 in particular?