Today I woke up expecting cold weather and grey skies and that’s exactly what we got. Currently, it’s snowing outside and there are only a few things that will cheer me up when this happens late-March.
One of them is coffee. The other? Pancakes!
It has been forever since I have attempted to make pancakes. I am usually not the best batter flipper, and rarely do I have anything turn out to picture and share with you guys. This morning, however, I got the motivation to take another stab at it and try something new.
This pure blend includes the mixture of (gluten free) oats, chia seeds, quinoa, and amaranth and is great alone as a hot cereal or as an addition to yogurt.
On the back of the package, I noticed a recipe for Super Oats Pancakes and had to give them a try. I stuck pretty true to it, except for the addition of coconut extract and a substitution for brown sugar. Yum!
Gluten Free Super Oats Chia Pancakes
2 eggs (I used 6 Tbsp. egg white liquid)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. coconut extract
1 Tbsp. milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup Super Oats simply pure blend
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. Stevia
1 pinch of salt (optional)
cook time: 10-15 minutes
servings: about 6 four-inch pancakes
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, coconut, milk, and apple sauce. In a separate bowl, mix together the Super Oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and sugar (stevia). Combine dry ingredients into wet.
2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat. Scoop batter onto griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake.
3. Cook until lightly brown around the edges and bubbly, flip and lightly brown the other side. Serve hot with fresh berries and maple syrup.
Instead of the syrup, I grabbed our wildflower blossom honey, straight from the Farmer’s Market and loved the flavor.
I finished breakfast feeling satisfied, and even got the approval from Scott. I love when meals taste just as great without the gluten.
All right, I better head out. I have some errands to run and a busy afternoon to get to. See ya after lunch!
Questions of the Day
• Have you ever tried Super Oats?
• What is one of your favorite gluten-free pancake recipes? (Links welcome!)