As you can probably figure out, this week has been ca-razy!
With a big move in the works and Scott already leaving to start our new journey, I have been running around like a mad woman trying to get things crossed off of our ever-growing “To Do” List.
Because blogging keeps me sane, I am going to make sure to stop in every other day or so and share something informative, yummy, or
what I think to be somewhat entertaining.
Today’s post fits into the “yummy” category and boyyyyyy was it ever! Scott and I invited a few close friends over last weekend to share our news, and together made a incredibly tasty shredded chicken lasagna.
We lightened up a version of the classic by substituting low-fat and whole wheat products. We certainly made it our own, but became originally inspired by recipes from Taste of Home.
10 uncooked lasagna noodles (I often use whole wheat)
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can (14.5 oz) tomatoes, drained
2 cans (6 oz) tomato paste – pick your flavor! (Garlic & Basil for us)
1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 cup onion, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh (or dried) basil
1 3/4 tsp salt (used divided)
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 cups (24 oz container) low-fat cottage cheese
4 cups shredded low-fat Mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup eggbeaters
1/3 cup fresh parsley, minced
1/2 tsp pepper
prep time: 50 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
1. Boil water for noodles and cook according to package directions. Meanwhile, broil chicken in oven (6 inches from heat) until juices run clear.
2. Let chicken stand for 15 minutes, or until cool enough to shred. Shred by hand, or by using two forks. Noodles should be done; drain and set aside.
3. In a large skillet, combine the shredded chicken, tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, onion, basil, 3/4 tsp salt (half of what you need total), and garlic powder. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat, then cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
5. In a bowl, make cheese mixture by combining 2 (only half of what you need total) cups Mozzarella, cottage cheese, eggbeaters, Parmesan cheese, parsley, pepper and 3/4 tsp salt (whatever salt is remaining).
6. Coat a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray and place half of the noodles, overlapping them. Layer with half of the cheese mixture, chicken (tomato) mixture, then mozzarella. Repeat layers. *Easy to follow picture description below!
7. Cover and bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes, or until it bubbles.
8. Uncover, then bake for 5 minutes longer.
9. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Cook Noodles + Broil Chicken.
Cool + Shred Chicken.
(you can use your hands if chicken is cool enough)
Spend your time waiting for chicken to cool by prepping vegetables.
Make chicken and tomato mixture by adding tomato paste, mushrooms, onion, basil, salt (half of what you need total), and garlic powder. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, then cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
Make cheese mixture by combining the cottage cheese, eggbeaters, Parmesan cheese, parsley, pepper and salt (whatever salt is remaining).
(Noodles, Tomato Mixture, Cheese, repeat)
Cover and bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes, or until it bubbles.
Uncover, then bake for 5 minutes longer.
Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
You can always use this time to take “look what I made!” victory photos.
(Nice apron, Mr. Hesington)
Serve + Enjoy!