There’s nothing like a good old fashioned family recipe to make you feel all warm and cozy around the holidays.
I was able to try out a few of them this past Thanksgiving, with the help of of Scott’s step-mother, Kay.
When putting our dessert menu together, I completely forgot about the Jell-O salad my family usually includes at all of our family functions. I don’t know how that happened, because it has always been a favorite of mine!
As soon as I heard the sounds of fruit and salad together, I was sold. I must warn you, however, that this recipe is not “healthified” in any way. But really… what good family recipes are?
*My suggestions to make this one lighter are to use sugar-free Jell-O, stevia instead of the sugar, light cream cheese, light sour cream, and to go easy on the pecans.
Maw Maw’s Blueberry Salad
1 (6 oz.) package blackberry or raspberry gelatin
2 cups boiling water
1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple
1 (15 oz.) can blueberries, undrained
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Dissolve gelatin in boiling water.
2. Drain pineapple, reserve liquid and add enough water to make 1 cup. Pour into gelatin.
3. Add pineapple and undrained blueberries. (<- important not to drain so you have that syrup!)
4. Chill in shallow 2 quart dish until set.
5. Combine cream cheese, sugar, sour cream, and vanilla. Spread on top. Sprinkle with nuts on top, if desired.
Since not everyone is a fan of nuts, we decided to only put them on half.
It was without a doubt a stand out treat for all!
Question of the Day
What is one of your favorite family recipes?