Hi there, and Happy Friday to you!
I hope you’re doing okay out there. We’re still here in Brooklyn, now in Phase I of re-opening, which honestly still looks and feels the same as a shelter-in-place status. I didn’t post on the blog last week, so I just had to recount the weeks we’ve been under quarantine. Thirteen.
We are closing out on Week 13 here in New York City, and are hoping to get into Phase 4 of reopening by late-July.
It hasn’t been the easiest week, but I’m here with a new set of Friday Favorites to look back at the things that made me smile, my latest workouts, some helpful links, and moments like finding the only mechanical horse/animal for Skyler to ride within miles.
(And yes, Scott’s “I’m not shaving my beard until I get a paycheck” strike during quarantine is still going strong. Woof.)
Thank you for checking in and reading today. Be well!
CURRENT FAVES — QUARANTINE WEEK 13
- a day in Coney Island
Last Friday we took a day to sneak away to our closest peek at the beach for the day, and it was just what we needed.
Ever since we took a day trip to Fire Island back in late-April, Skyler has been asking to go to the ocean every single day. We are only a short subway ride from Coney Island, but I have been hesitant to use public transport during these weeks in quarantine, as our trips aren’t essential.
That being said, we decided that as the state has started to re-open, we felt comfortable enough to safely ride the subway under 30 minutes and back to Coney Island. We all had masks, we didn’t touch anything, and the cars were extremely clean and spaced out with only a few people in each one. It was refreshing to see.
While most stores were still closed (and should be), there were a few businesses open with extreme measures in place to serve food outside. The boys got Nathan’s hot dogs (I saw a Subway and thoroughly enjoyed a turkey sandwich), and we spent a few hours walking around.
The Boardwalk was the most crowded part, so we were in and out of that area pretty quickly. Skyler absolutely loved going to the ocean and playing with this feet in the water. He didn’t really like getting dirty in the sand, but he had a blast under the kid’s palm tree splash area.
It was a wonderful escape for the day, and a pleasant way to enjoy Coney Island. We’ll be back sooner than later, I’m sure.
- a week of snuggles
I’ve shared a little bit on this on social and on my latest post, and here are a few more details about our dear kitty, Aspen. She hasn’t been eating for several days, which is extremely concerning … especially for her who actually lives for food and trying to steal our snacks at all times of the day.
To make a long story short, she’s had a history of intestinal issues, and has gotten sick almost every day for the past few years. She’s seen different doctors, we switched her over to special food that requires a prescription, and has been treated on and off with antibiotics and steroids. She’s gotten lumps removed, and currently has a large blockage in her stomach that has caused her to shrink down to six pounds … which is half of her normal bodyweight.
I’ll spare you the rest of the details, but the point in sharing is that this long road of trying to help her has come to an end, and we have finally accepted that this will be our last weekend together as a family of six (three fur-babies included).
Aspen has always been our feisty girl and is the boss who even runs our dog around. She’s snuggly on her terms, and my favorite part of this week has been all of the attention and snuggles I’ve had with her.
No matter how sick she is and feels, she just wants to be with us, loved on, and adored. And I’m here for it, even though this whole waiting game feels like some type of slow torture.
While we would love to extend this precious time with her as long as possible, we also want to do what is right and manage her pain. At this point, we are taking it hour by hour and soaking in all of the love that we can. Thank you so much for your messages, support, and prayers.
- helpful shows and information on diversity that I personally recommend
If you haven’t already done so, please take a few minutes to read my previous two blog posts on how We Can Do Better, and What I Learned After a Week of Listening and Learning.
It’s important to keep these conversations going, and I’ll be including some of the things that I’m continuing to learn and see as time goes by.
Here is a short list of things that I have listened to or seen, and recommend:
- When They See Us on Netflix
- 13th on Netflix
- “Code Switch” podcast via NPR
- CNN/Sesame Street Town Hall: How To Explain Racism to Kids
Here are a few posts I’ve shared on Instagram that I find very insightful:
- 33 Books featuring black heroes and characters via The Everymom
- These books that feature the role race plays in the American experience via theSkimm
- C3 Kids Summer Reading List on race and diversity via C3.NYC KIDS
- Putting fear aside in saying “the wrong thing” via Mindbodygreen
- Toys from black-owned businesses via The Everymom
- 3 texts and petitions you can sign to make a difference via Betches
- my favorite clean products are back, and some promos
I’ve been pretty quiet on the clean beauty front over the past few weeks, and this is just as a result of respect for what needs to be heard right now.
This does not mean that I am any less excited about Beautycounter, clean products, or sharing my reviews and the best discounts with you.
That said, there is a lot to catch up on, so I’ll make it brief!
- A BRAND-NEW product launched this week, Countersun Daily Sheer Defense for the face with SPF 25! This is a lightweight facial sunscreen that is fast-absorbing, easy-to-blend, and designed for all skin tones without white residue. It provides protection from UVA, UVB, and HEV blue light rays, and I’m so excited to get my hands on a tube soon! I’ll be sure to share my personal review when I do.
- The All Bright Vitamin C Serum is back in stock, and you should grab it before it’s gone again! It’s one of my all-time favorite skincare products and does wonders to minimize dark spots while giving you an instant glow.
- The Counter+ Charcoal Facial Mask is back in stock with a new formula to drive even better results! I’ve heard that it’s less drying and minimizes the appearance of pores, balances, and exfoliates even more.
- Skin Twin color match tools. There’s a new feature in the Beautycounter app where you can use a picture of your forearm or even turn the camera around to your face to match foundation colors! (Read about more details on the new Skin Twin featherlight foundation in this post.) If you need any help with color-matching, I have a ton of resources and helpful pictures I can send over. Please let me know!
- The June Band of Beauty Membership free gift is the Body Lotion Citrus Mimosa. Click here for more information on how to join to get free shipping on orders $100 or more, product credit back, and more perks throughout the year.
Please do not hesitate to reach out if you need help with anything at all. I love to talk about all things clean beauty related, and I am here to help!
- latest workouts
This week was all about getting in what I could when I could. There admittedly wasn’t any structure to it outside of spacing out my running days. I’m hoping to get more planning in next week here.
Saturday: 30 Minute Full Body Resistance Band Workout via HASfit (I liked these exercises, but the overall workout format and style of coaching wasn’t my favorite)
Monday: Full Body HIIT With Weights via Heather Robertson (oh my gosh, I love her — the workouts she posts are so good!)
Tuesday: 4.38 mile run through the park
Wednesday: NO REPEAT Full Body Workout via Heather Robertson
Thursday: 2.25 mile run around the neighborhood
And we’re about to head out to a long walk through the park today.
- favorite LIL posts
I was able to make a trip to Trader Joe’s on Monday, so I wanted to take advantage of a full refrigerator and quickly showcase a day of healthy, yet effortless meals that you can throw together in a pinch.
You’ll need a light and medium set of dumbbells for this one. If you don’t have any weights around, get creative! Grab soup cans, water bottles, or whatever makes sense. Perform 10-12 reps of each exercise as a circuit 3x and then go for the bonus swings exercise if you’re feeling good!
All right. It’s time for me to log off and get back to the fam. I hope you all have a great weekend and I’ll see ya next week!
*Disclaimer: Friday Favorites posts may contain affiliate links. Also, I am a Beautycounter consultant and love what I do with the company. By using the links provided in this post to order products, you are supporting my business. I always appreciate you!